Tuesday, December 04, 2007

My Epicure spices

On Nov. 22 I had a tasting party for Victorian Epicure spices. I have been using them for several years and have had the odd party or two. I use regular spices too, but Epicure has nice mixes that make it easy to add flavour without using your imagination too much. Some days I prefer that! The spices also have no salt or MSG or preservatives or anything weird. Epicure also has very nice cooking tools, etc. I have had the stainless steel teapot for a year now and I love it!

KELLEY'S LIST OF OLD STANDBYS AND POTENTIALLY NEW FAVOURITES:

French Onion Dip - I am on my 3rd jar of this and I have never actually made dip with it. If a recipe calls for a package of that nasty onion soup mix, I use a heaping tablespoon of the dip mix instead. I also put it in soup, gravy, meatloaf, etc.

Herb and Garlic Dip - This is my first time using this but my sister has used it for years as a rub before roasting a chicken.

Curry Dip - This I think I will actually use as dip, for things like chicken strips ( homemade of course! )

Louisiana Hot and Spicy Dip - My kids are just getting into hot stuff, but this dip is pretty killer, so I don't think I should use it as rub or anything. The dip will be fine, or maybe a small bit in marinade for chicken.

Maple Spice Dip - This is quite nice on fruit, but I will be using as icing flavouring and for sprinkling on oatmeal.

Hot Buttered Rum Mix - This apparantly is really good mixed with the melted butter for popcorn, according to my neice.

Beef and Steak Spice - I've used this for years and put it in almost everything.

Souvlaki Seasoning - Another favourite. I mix it with olive oil and lemon juice and mix it with potatoes. Roast them in the oven and they are fabulous. Also excellent on chicken.

Pumpkin Pie Spice - I use this all the time when allspice and cloves are called for. I have neither, and the PPS is better anyway.

Taco Seasoning - I never buy taco kits anymore. We just buy tortillas and use a scoop of the seasoning, instead of that nasty packaged stuff.

Chinese Five Spice - We use this in stir-fry and asian soup a lot.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?