Sunday, November 18, 2007

Baby and soup

This morning I made a crock pot full of butternut squash soup. Normally I load it up with curry and roasted garlic and make it really spicy. However I was making for my friend L who just had a baby girl last Tuesday. Since baby is being breast fed, I made it a little bit milder. A smidge of garlic only, and some cumin. It was still yummy.

I don't really have recipe but I can explain how I did it. A cut a medium sized squash in half lengthwise and then scooped out the seedy bit. Brush it with olive oil, put both halves on a cookie sheet and stick it in the oven at 350F for about an hour until it's pretty soft.

While the squash is baking ( and the bulb of garlic is roasting if you are using it ) get the crock pot ready. I put in about 2 cups of water. I usually use chicken stock but L is vegetarian. Add whatever seasonings you are using to the pot as well. Crank it up to high and let it get hot.

When the squash is soft, take it out and let it cool enough that you can scoop it out of the peel. Plop it into the crock pot. I whizzed it up by sticking my Braun whizzing thingy into the pot. You could mash it too but it won't be as smooth. Adjust the seasoning as needed. I put about half a cup of skim milk in after I whizzed it. I like it reasonalbly thick, but not like sludge. That's it! Turn it back down to low and eat it whenever.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?